Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, September 15, 2014

Book Review: Year-Round Slow Cooker By Dina Cheney

This is a book review of Year-Round Slow Cooker by Dina Cheney

Dina Cheney is a working mum to two young children, a cooking teacher, author of three cookbooks and has written magazine columns for 20 other publications. Dina lives in New York.


As most of you know I'm a Slow Cooker Queen! I love to use my slow cooker, especially in the cooler months there's nothing like a comforting warm meal on a cold winter night. Although I've tried to use my slow cooker at other times of the year, I've struggled to find recipes that are suitable to the not so cold seasons of the year.

Well that's where this cookbook comes into play - Year-Round Slow Cooker has answered my prayers with 100 delicious recipes to make in the slow cooker. The recipes are divided into seasons, with 25 recipes to make for each season.

No longer will I be making just casseroles and soups in the slow cooker, but being a bit more adventurous and trying: Indian Style cauliflower, potato and parsley root curry; Braised pork shoulder soft tacos with watermelon-tomato salsa; Sticky toffee pudding with cranberries to name a few!

I love that the recipes are based around fresh ingredients that are easy to come by at that time of year and there's also some alternatives to the ingredients which I found useful being that this book is published in America and you can't find all the ingredients here in Australia. There are also practical tips throughout like what ingredients to keep stocked in the pantry, converting recipes to the oven or stove, and how to make your meal more flavoursome and less watery.

The recipes are modern and suited to the home cook who likes to impress. The recipes are a bit more involved than your usual slow cooker meals, but this is to create more flavourful meals. This is a cookbook I'd use on the weekends when I have more time for preparation.

I recommend this cookbook to home cooks that want to create modern and impressive meals in their slow cooker.

I give this book 4 stars out of 5
 
Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read

Year-Round Slow Cooker can be purchased from Taunton Store
 
Sharing my book review on Good Reads here

Disclosure:  Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with this eBook published by Taunton Press to review. As always, all opinions are my own.

 
 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook and Instagram


[Image via Taunton Store]


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!