Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, June 9, 2014

Book Review and Preview: The Unknown Women by Jacqueline Lunn

This is a book review and preview of the book The Unknown Women by Jacqueline Lunn that was recently published on 1 May 2014.

Jacqueline was born in Brisbane and after living in London and New York, now calls Sydney home. She writes a weekly column for The Sydney Morning Herald and this is her second novel.


This is the story of Lilith a 40 something wife and mother who lives in suburban Sydney and is trying to work out who she is and what she wants from life.

Her kids are at school, her husbands a workaholic, her father's in a nursing home, she spies on her new neighbors, and she doesn't seem to even like spending time with her friends.

On the outside she looks like the perfect housewife, running errands, going shopping, picking up the kids from school, looking after her family. But on the inside Lilith is a completely different character, who is uncertain about who she is and what she wants from life. She seemed very lost and isolated, even though she has a comforting family home.

To be honest I found this book a little depressing. I felt sorry for Lilith most of the way through, especially when her kids didn't appreciate all that she did for them. I just wanted to give her a shake and tell to get out there and start living her life!

I recommend this book to those that like contemporary fiction and who have an interest in a modern day Australian family.

I give this book 2 stars

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:

1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read


The Unknown Woman can be purchased from Random House here

Sharing my book review on Good Reads here

Disclosure: NetGalley partner with bloggers such as me to help promote their product. As part of this promotion I was given this eBook published by Random House Australia to review. I have not received any payment or compensation for this review. I have not been told what to say about this product, I am free to form my own opinion and share them in my own words. All opinions are my own.



 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook and Instagram


[Image via Random House]

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip Michelle, just finished GONE GIRL and reading Pride and Prejudice again, have to find a good read soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look Gone Girl up havent heard of that one. Pride and Prejudice is a great classic :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!