Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Book Review: When the Bough Breaks By Matthew Benns



This book is the 2nd in a set of Australian crime stories, the first one I reviewed here

The book is about the life and death of 4 little babies who died over a period of 10 years, but all their deaths were blamed on SIDS and listed as unknown causes. When the husband, Craig finds the diary of the Mum, Kathleen and which has the inner most thoughts and feelings that she expresses towards her kids he approaches the police who had suspected that she was responsible and charges were eventually laid.
This book is as somber and sad as it sounds and being factual, was written with dates and names and frequently referred back to diary entries or situations that had happened. I found it very difficult reading about these poor little babies I literally felt ill most of the time.

I would recommend this book for those that like true crime novels and a bit of Australian history. I give this book stars 3 stars, it was ok but I didn't really like the writing style it was a bit all over the place.

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read

[Image and Book via Random House]
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!