Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, June 24, 2011

Book Club Book Review: Atonement by Ian McGowan

My Book Club's read for June was Atonement by Ian McEwan

I borrowed this book from the library and it had a $53 replacement fee if damaged, no idea why but I did rush it straight back to the library once I'd finished it! When I mentioned I was reading Atonement to friends they said it was a fantastic read, so that, with the replacement fee, had my mind set that this would be a tremendous book.



Atonement is about 13 year old Briony and her older sister Cecilia who falls for their gardener Robbie, and Briony's imagination which affects the lives of all those around her.

Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed with the first half of the book and couldn't see the fascination about this story (other than the library sex scene!). But the latter half through WW11 and the chapters narrated by Robbie as a soldier and then Briony as a nurse I found interesting.

I kept anticipating Briony's atonement and hoping everything would come together and it would be a happily ever after ending. It doesn't quite end like that which is probably what makes this such a real novel, it's not about fairytale endings but about life and sometimes bad things happen to good people.

I would recommend this book to the romantics that believe in the power of love, but not for those that have rose coloured glasses and want a happily ever after romance novel.

I give it 3 out of 5 stars

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read

 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png 

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter


[Image via Dymocks]

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!