Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hello Media Wall

It started off innocently enough, I headed to Bunnings to grab a few paint swatches and went home and stuck them on the wall. Then confusion set in. I love all of them. Oh hang on I don't like any of them. Maybe they'll look different in daylight. Now I can't remember which one I liked. Maybe I won't bother feature walls aren't really in anyway. C'mon live a little Miss designer-wanabe. Hmmmm sound familiar?!


As you can see above I made a decision in the end, and picked Top Shot (top left) and bought a tester pot and painted it on the wall. The contrasting colour that's going on the rest of the walls is Mountain Peak (2nd from top on right) which is a really light grey. I want a straight out dark grey to balance with the light grey, but all these greys seem to have a purple or blue tinge to them, or in Top Shots case magenta thrown in. So I went back and bought another tester pot this time asking them not to put in the magenta, and instead use the same amount of black as the magenta would have been.


Above is both samples painted side by side, the one the left is Top Shot and the one on the right is Top Shot minus the magenta - Can you notice the difference in colour? It's very slight but you can see the purple tinge has gone which is just what I was looking for. Now back to Bunnings for the 3rd time in a day (lucky its only a 15 minute drive!) to get a few more litres and get painting ....

Above you can see the other walls painted Mountain Peak and me actually doing some work! A little bit scared and a little bit excited about how it will turn out. I'm not really into feature walls so much but this alcove is where the tv cabinet and tv will go so it was crying out for some definition and being that its 2011 I'm getting on trend and calling it The Media Wall.

Hello Media Wall!

Now I can say the living room is finally finished. The walls all painted (you can read all about the never ending prep work here), ceiling lifted and floorboards finished (you see read about the grueling hours of prep work here) they were sealed with a coat of Tung Oil to make them gleam like a mirror and we had to vacate the house for 24 hours to let them set before we could walk on them, now we're waiting a whole week before we move any furniture in just to be sure they are set hard and won't scratch easily. We've been shacked up in our makeshift dining room for about 8 weeks so cannot wait to sit back on our new couches in our new living room this weekend.

Just to remind you what it looked like BEFORE


And now the AFTER


What do you think of feature walls behind the tv?
Would you go dark or light?
Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Haha, I love the color swatches on the wall! It's so funny. And I love the dark color! It definitely adds dimension to the whole room and will look great once a wonderful television is up:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a dark background behind the tv! I imagine it would set off the picture beautifully when on and camouflage the set when it is off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the grey wall! I think grey is the hardest colour to get right...so many tones, ugh. But when you get it right, it's so lovely. I think it was an excellent choice for a tv wall, it will definitely help it to blend in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Michelle! I love the color your chose for your media wall! It looks great. You've got me thinking now about whether we should do an accent wall in our living room. That room is too big for its own good and I'm constantly trying to find ways to make it cozy.

    Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comments on my kitchen and hallway. Loving the photos you're sharing of your reno!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!